One of the most popular eCommerce platforms today is Shopify. It started as a small online store selling snowboards in 2004. Eventually, one of the founders created software to convert it into an eCommerce platform. After 2 years, it became Shopify.
According to a digital marketing speaker Hong Kong, more than 1.7 million merchants sell using Shopify. This is equivalent to more than $5.1 billion of sales. Among all eCommerce platforms, it has a 20% market share. But, do you know that Shopify also has a physical store? Yes, it’s true! In 2018, Shopify opened its first brick-and-mortar store in Los Angeles.
Shopify POS-powered 100,000 merchants. These include famous brands like Gymshark, Nike, Pepsi, Redbull, Tesla Motors, Unilever, and WaterAid. If you are a small business that wants to try out Shopify, here’s a basic guide.
WHAT IS SHOPIFY?
Shopify is a subscription software that allows businesses to set up eCommerce or online stores. They can also sell in physical locations via Shopify POS. What’s good about Shopify is that both the inventory on the physical store and online shop are synced by the software. Thus, you can manage different stores in just one account.
As an eCommerce platform, Shopify offers the quickest way to launch your dream business. It is as simple as getting a subscription and setting up your account. Then you can right away sell products on the Shopify platform. A social media agency Hong Kong noted that Shopify allows product link integration in most social media networks. These include Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube.
HOW TO SET UP A SHOPIFY SHOP?
Shopify caters to the business of all sizes. It has 3 levels of subscriptions that suit small and medium businesses plus large corporations:
- A Basic Shopify subscription costs $29 monthly. The subscription includes setting up an online store with unlimited products. It also includes 24/7 support, abandoned cart recovery, discount codes, and gift cards, fraud analysis, and a free SSL certificate. You can also activate 2 staff accounts within the said plan.
- The Standard Shopify subscription costs $79 monthly. It includes setting up an online store with unlimited products. It also includes 24/7 support, abandoned cart recovery, discount codes, and gift cards, fraud analysis, free SSL certificate, international domains & pricing, and professional reports. You can also activate 5 staff accounts within the said plan.
- An Advanced Shopify subscription costs $299 monthly. The subscription includes setting up an online store with unlimited products. It also includes 24/7 support, abandoned cart recovery, advanced report builder, discount codes and gift cards, fraud analysis, free SSL certificate, international domains & pricing, professional reports, and third-party calculated shipping rates. You can also activate 15 staff accounts within the said plan.
The online credit card rates for each Shopify subscription also vary:
- Basic Shopify charges 2.9% plus $0.30. It also charges a 2% extra fee for Shopify payments made through other payment providers.
- Standard Shopify charges 2.6% plus $0.30. It also charges a 1% extra fee for Shopify payments made through other payment providers.
- Advanced Shopify charges 2.4% plus $0.30. It also charges a 0.5% extra fee for Shopify payments made through other payment providers.
The good news is you can register for a free 14-day trial to try the Shopify features. To create a Shopify account, you will need to register your email address and a password. At this point, you will also need to pick a store name. It will be charged later once you decide to continue after the 14-day free trial. Once you have signed up for an account, you will need to fill and set up information about your store.
Setting up an online store in Shopify requires you to add a domain. This domain can either be a customized one or that from shopify.com. Afterward, you can select your store theme. Please note that paid themes also allow a 14-day free trial. Now, you can customize your store by uploading the products that you want to sell. The next steps would be setting up your checkouts, shipping options, tax regions plus rates, and payment systems.
WHAT IS SHOPIFY POS?
POS stands for point of sales. Shopify POS is an extra feature to any Shopify subscription. It syncs your brick-and-mortar stores, online stores, and other sales channels into one account. Shopify POS Lite is a free version. For businesses who want to unlock additional features, the Shopify POS Pro costs $89 monthly. The Shopify POS is an all-in-one dashboard where you can manage all activities in your store. You can also assign staff accounts to help you in doing so. What’s good about Shopify Pos is that it supports 20 languages. It can also be accessed via Android and iOS apps.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Today, modern consumers shifted to online searches instead of shop hopping. As 2/3 of the world’s population (4. 66 billion) uses the Internet, it pays to create a Shopify account. They are the cheapest and easiest way to set up an eCommerce shop or online store.